My No Buy Year - January 2019

MONTH ONE DONE

Why have I decided to embark on a "no buy 2019"? That's probably the first thing to talk about before I go on to say how I have found the first month. 

I have never really given any thought to the things I want and buy.  If I see something I like, I want it... I need it in my life, right there and then.  Whether I can afford it or not doesn't come into the equation.  

Towards the end of last year (2018) I started to change the way I looked at things.  I took a break from Instagram, which I was finding incredibly toxic and it was the best thing I could have done.  I was finding myself getting caught up in people's daily posts of new outfits and purchases and try as I might, I couldn't help feeling quite jealous that these people could afford to keep going out every day buying new clothes all the time.  I then read that actually, some people just order or buy a load of clothes, take photos for the 'gram and then return them.  I found that even more toxic than the actual daily posts to be honest so I decided to take a little break from it and become a bit more "present" in my own life. 

On this break I also took a look at the things I spend my money on - clothes, beauty (a lot of beauty), homeware...quite a lot of "stuff".  After reading the Marie Kondo book "The Magic Art of Tidying" I had a huge declutter and was amazed at the amount of things I had.  I also loved the feeling of decluttering and feeling almost "cleansed" by it.  Did I really need all this "stuff" to be happy? 

After getting through Christmas and being down to my last 3p in my bank account I told myself that I would end this year with money in my account and not overflowing drawers and cupboards of make up and clothes.   Definitely on my list of things to achieve this year is to spend less time shopping and more time doing things with my family, days out, days in etc. 

I drew up an inventory so I didn't forget any rules and have set things out very clearly as to what is and isn't allowed.  I felt I needed to do this so that I can always see them and to make sure I didn't start changing them in my head or forgetting them. 
So, how has this month been? Well, it's the first one and it has been hard.  Training my brain to focus on other things is exhausting but the most important thing I have to do is to break the bad habits I have.  Sometimes I just find myself browsing unintentionally online or something will catch my eye but I have been telling myself that, although I "want" something, that doesn't mean I "need" it.  

Have I bought anything this month? Yes, I have.  But I haven't broken my rules.  I bought a new pair of snow boots and a pair of ski goggles for my upcoming holidays.  These were a necessity and replacing items that were worn (my boots were 12 years old and leaked) and tarnished (I could hardly see out of my old goggles...quite crucial in the mountains).  I didn't rush into buying these though which I think shows how I'm changing.  I really thought about whether I needed them, could I get by without them and also, what was within my budget.  I'm really happy with them and feel I will get years of use out of these.

The last thing I bought this month was a new camera lens.  I had my eye on this since getting my camera last June and I was given some vouchers for Christmas that would cover the entire cost.  I ran it past my husband first and said I could either buy clothes, make up or the lens and we both decided that the lens would be the best choice.  I'm over the moon I didn't "waste" my vouchers on make up or clothes that I didn't need and have bought something I will get a lot of use out of (I've already used it loads and am loving it).
I'm proud of myself that I haven't tripped up this month.  There have been no clothes or beauty products purchased at all.  I think this month could have been a difficult one with it feeling so long since we were last paid but I have resisted temptation and am already seeing savings in my bank account which is a great feeling.

Have you set any challenges for 2019?

Love Katherine xxx


Facebook  Instagram  Twitter  YouTube


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November Favourites!

March Favourites!

September Favourites!